Pages

Thursday 11 August 2011

A Review for Amaranth by Rachael Wade

Posted by Donna
Published Date: July 27th, 2011 (E-book) 
Finished Date: August 8th, 2011
Source: For Review from Author 
Format: Kindle
Pages: Unknown
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: Knowledge changes everything… Hoodoo-influenced Southern Louisiana seems like the perfect place for Camille to relocate and escape her abusive past. She didn’t expect to fall in love and plummet herself into the world of Amaranth, a place of exile for reformed vampires. Thanks to her deadly vampire ex-boyfriend, she’s confronted with decisions that not only threaten her life but the lives of her inhuman friends that she has come to love. Entangled in her friends’ quest for freedom, she dives into their realm and faces the threats of the ruler of Amaranth—the mother of all vampires—and her own inner demons. Will she derail her life and make the ultimate sacrifice for the very monsters that interrupted her bumpy path back to sanity—the one she wanted so desperately in the first place? Or will she find a way to escape with her vampire love before it’s too late?
<
The Review: “I’m completely crazy about you, Camille.” He moved in closer, his eyes assessed my reaction. “―I know there are details you didn’t want to mention before ... things about the guy you left back in Seattle, and your mom. But I want you to know whatever it is you’re still running from, you don‘t have to run from it anymore. You can talk to me. And I would never, ever, hurt you.”

3.5 out of 5! I’d wanted to read Amaranth for a while so I was thrilled when Rachael Wade gave me a copy to review. Firstly, the cover is what initially attracted me to the book; take a look, isn’t it lovely? Then secondly after reading the blurb, I though vampires and hoodoo? That must be interesting. And now after reading the book, overall I generally liked it.

Camille is a 21 year old girl who travels to Paris in order to get away from her abusive ex-boyfriend. While in Paris she meets handsome and charming Gavin who she feels an instant attraction to but their meeting is quiet brief. After travelling around Paris, two years have passed and Camille has been living in Louisiana. She’s dated another abusive boyfriend who is currently her ex but he’s still trying to get her back. It’s then when is she working that she meets Gavin again and she is suddenly taken on a whirlwind of a relationship and she starts finding out things that she never thought possible existed.

I really did enjoy this book. It was definitely one I was looking forward to starting and I’m definitely looking forward to seeing where the author now takes the rest of the series. From chapter one, I was taken on an enjoyable journey where I was intrigued to discover more of the world that Rachael has created. It was imaginable, realistic and the storyline is quiet unique. The characters were loveable and although I struggled to connect with Camille as much as I did with Gavin, I still really enjoyed how much their relationship developed. I loved how Gavin was so shy at times and came across quiet vulnerable too. The secondary characters were second to none, with Joel being one of my favourites. His sense of humour was amazing and I don’t think this book would have been the same without him. He definitely was a fantastic addition to this story.

The story line itself had quite a few laughs but also had a few sad times, so there was a good mix of emotions used. It was also full of excitement, romance and suspense. By the end of the book, the story has been left open in quite a few areas making us readers wanting more and boy, do I want more. Rachael has done a great job with Amaranth and I for one will look forward to reading future books by her.

Thank you to Rachael for giving me the opportunity to review this book. 

4 comments:

Shilpa Mudiganti said...

Vampires and Hoodoos does sound interesting...I would like to read it too. I can never get enough of vampires! :D

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review :) I've never heard of this book until now and its time to put it on my TBR list :3

www.RachaelWade.com said...

Thanks for sharing the review, Donna. Glad you enjoyed it. I'll be sending you an advanced copy of the 2nd installment this winter. It will release around the New Year.

Alyssa_Susanna said...

Oooo I'm reading this book now!!!! I read Preservation by Rachel, and was totally sucked in to her writing. Now, a series! I'm so excited!!! So far it's pretty good, but I'm only a little bit in. Three stars is pretty okay! I hope I like it too. I got the second book on Kindle for free, and I'll probably be awaiting the third!!!! Thanks for the review!!!!

Alyssa Susanna

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis