Pages

Thursday 25 August 2011

A Review for The Vampire Academy: Graphic Novel by Richelle Mead

Posted by Donna
Published Date: August 23rd, 2011
Finished Date: August 23rd, 2011
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: For Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 144
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: After two years on the run, best friends Rose and Lissa are caught and returned to St. Vladimir's Academy, a private high school for vampires and half-bloods. It's filled with intrigue, danger - and even romance. Enter their dark, fascinating world through a new series of 144-page full-color graphic novels. The entire first Vampire Academy novel has been adapted for book one by Leigh Dragoon and overseen by Richelle Mead, while the beautiful art of acclaimed British illustrator Emma Vieceli brings the story to life.
<
The Review: I’m ashamed to admit this, but The Vampire Academy Graphic Novel is actually my FIRST EVER graphic novel. I know, I know, I should be burned at the stake but when the publishers asked if we wanted to review it, of course I snapped up the opportunity. Now I bet your wondering what I thought. Well…..I’ll tell you…..I loved it!

Vampire Academy is about two girls Rose & Lissa but the story is told from Rose’s point of view. Rose is a dhampir, half human – half moroi. Her duty, once she graduates from the Academy is too protect a person like Lissa - who is a Moroi, from the evil Strigio. The girls have been on the run from the Academy for more than two years, when they are finally dragged back and once again have to settle back into life there but their journey isn’t a smooth one.

I’ve always been a fan of the Vampire Academy books so it was only natural I was excited to see the characters I’ve grown to love in a graphic novel. We all know we imagine the characters one way in our minds but to see them on paper; it really is amazing. The art is drawn by Emma Vieceli and I have to say, I absolutely adored her work. With Rose, I believe she really portrayed her best features and it was honestly how I pictured her. She came across strong, fierce and independent, just like the books and I loved how all that was captured into each drawing. Dimitri was another character that I loved and I have to say, he looked even more perfect in these drawing. He was better than I ever could have imagined with his strong features, dark hair and those abs….wow! My only real complaint was Lissa, she wasn’t how I pictured her but I’m still glad that I got to see how she is supposed to look and now, whenever I read the books I know I will be replacing Lissa with the person Emma has created from my own.

The story itself was captured brilliantly. Within these 140 odd pages, you manage to grab hold of the whole story and not miss a thing. I’d read the first book a few years ago, so reading this novel, it felt good to be back. You notice how quickly the story comes back to you and it’s hard not to love with its fast, intense and exciting scenes.

Leigh Draagon, who adapted the novel, did an excellent job of capturing some of our favourite scenes. My favourite has to be with Rose, Dimitri and the necklace. I was really pleased to have that in the book and I was also pleased Emma did a fantastic job with it too. But I also loved the final scene with Christian in the woods, the colours used to show his powers were completely captivating.

Overall, The Vampire Academy Graphic Novel is a MUST for any VA fans. It’s a fantastic addition to the series and I cannot wait to see Frostbite in 2012.

A huge thank you to the publishers for giving me the opportunity to review this awesome book.



1 comment:

Book Passion for Life said...

Argh! Hurry up and send this to me! I neeeeed to read it. I need to see Dimka in all his glory!
-Jess

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis