Pages

Tuesday 15 November 2011

A Review for My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers #2) by Rachel Vincent


Posted by Donna
Published Date: February 18th, 2011
Finished Date: November 13th, 2011
Publishers: Mira
Source: For Review
Format: Paperback 
Pages: 362
<
The Blurb from Goodreads: When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies. So when teen pop star Eden croaks on stage and Kaylee doesn't wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can't cry for someone who has no soul.The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad's ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend's loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld—a consequence they can't possibly understand.Kaylee can't let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk….
<
The Review: After reading Rachel Vincent’s My Soul to Take I eagerly dived straight into My Soul to Save, the second book in The Soul Screamers Series. And although I enjoyed it, I have quite mixed feelings about it because I don’t feel it was as good as the first.
<
My Soul to Save see’s Kaylee and Nash take on another dangerous journey, when they go to concert and watch a famous singer drop dead on the stage. The problem is Kaylee doesn’t wail like she normally does and she quickly realises it is because the singer has no soul; the singer has sold her soul to become rich and famous. Soon Kaylee and Nash with the help from Tod, find out that Tod’s ex-girlfriend is the next one to loose her life and they go on a mission to try and reclaim her soul.
<
This is a hard review for me to write because like I said, I did enjoy it but not as much as the first. The problem is, I can’t quite put my finger on why I didn’t though because the story was still excellently written and there were plenty of twists and turns. I did find it a tad predictable at times but then the ending was a bit of shocker, so it definitely had its highs and lows. I think the main problem was I didn’t enjoy the characters as much this time around. In My Soul to Take we seen Kaylee trying to save the people around her that she new and loved but with this one, I didn’t have any real connection with Addison because we don’t really know her, therefore I really didn’t care what happened to her. I know that sounds bad but it’s true. I guess I would have liked to have gotten to know her more as a character rather than just the dying girl that everyone was trying to save.
<
What I did really like in this book was how Kaylee and Nash’s relationship developed. I loved that things were hotting up and it was truly frustrating at times with Tod popping up out of no where but I enjoyed it and I can’t wait to see more. I also liked that we got to know Tod a bit more too. We got to see the softer side of him but with the events of this book, we also seen a more dangerous side too and I’m eager to find out more.
<
Overall, I’m still looking forward to continuing this series and I can not wait to start the next few books in the series.



Thank you to Mira for giving me the opportunity to review this book. 

3 comments:

Aravis said...

I absolutely love these books!

I can see why you struggled a little more with this one. I'm interested to read what you think about books 3 & 4; there are some major twists there. I won't say anything about what I thought. I want to know what *you* think! :0)

One note: there is a very short novella, Reaper, that Vincent recommends you read after the third book (I read it after the 2nd and it works there too). It's Tod's story about how and why he became a reaper. It gives you a much better feel for who he is, and also insight into his relationship with Nash. Unfortunately it's only available in ebook format. It's definitely worth the read, and I strongly recommend it! :0)

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

This one wasn't as good as My Soul to Take but so far My soul to Steal is awesome! I think Kaylee started getting on my nerves a little bit due to her hero complex!


Krazyyme @ Young Readers

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis