Pages

Tuesday 7 February 2012

A Review for Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Posted by Donna
Published Date: February 2nd, 2012
Finished Date: January 30th, 2012
Source: For Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 329
<
The Blurb from Goodreads:  Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human. And then every day in between . . .She's something else entirely. Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism. When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive. . .and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process.
<
The Review: Every Other Day was my first book by author Jennifer Lynn Barnes and it was right up my street. It was intense, fast paced, exciting and with a kick-ass heroine, trying to overcome a dangerous evil within her home town….what’s not to like?

Kali is a 16 year old high student by day and every 24 hours she turns into a bad ass demon hunter by night. While at school one day she notices a mark on the back of one of the popular girls and realises that the girl has been marked to die. Kali makes it her mission to try and help the girl but instead, she ends up with the mark on herself and is soon on a mission to save herself before her time is up.

I liked the overall premise of this story and it was a really easy read.  I really found myself enjoying the characters too. Kali is just the type of heroine we need from young adult books. She’s a very interesting character, one that is strong, stubborn and sarcastic but she’s also loyal, determined and her personality really drives this story forward – it really gets this story kicking off pretty well.  Kali wasn’t the only character I liked; Skylar was another favourite of mine. I loved her personality and her bubbly attitude and I loved the banter between her and her brother.  

Even though I thoroughly enjoyed Every Other Day, I cannot help feel that something was missing and for me that was romance. There is a slight hint of it between Kali and Zev but it’s such a weird and complex relationship I wasn’t entirely sure I understood it. So I didn’t love it but that’s not to say that the next book will be the same. The ending of this book left me wanting to know what happens next and I especially want to know happens to all our characters and of course, I want more romance.

Overall, Jennifer Lynn Barnes has managed to create an interesting and imaginable world with Every Other Day and I’ve got a feeling that this series will just get better and better. 

6 comments:

Mel said...

See what I liked most about Every Other Day was the lack of romance. I've been getting fed up of the teen romance storyline! But I understand if that's your favourite thing why it feel like it's missing! :)

Stephanie said...

I agree with Mel - the lack of romance and focus on the mystery of her changing and the friendships etc. were what I liked. But to each their own, right?
Love your site!

Unknown said...

Sounds like an interesting read. Great review.

~Sara @ Just Another Story said...

I love me some romance! I think I would have had the same issues as you did in terms of romance. Something would have been missing. Thanks for the review!

Haley @ YA-Aholic said...

Lacking Romance?!?! I will pass! You know how much I need romance in me books! I kinda figured this one wouldn't have romance, I read her Raised by Wolves book, and even though it was good, I bought it thinking there was romance! And there really wasn't! So I will be passing on this one also (:

Becca said...

It sounds really good!! I hope I get to read Every Other Day soon!! :)

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis