Pages

Monday 3 March 2014

A Review for Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer

18716399
Posted by Donna
Release Date: February 6th, 2014
Finished Date: February 25th, 2014
Publishers: Puffin Books
Genre: YA, Sci-fi
Source: For Review
Format: Paperback
Pages: 550
Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard. 

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

The Review: Cress, the third instalment in Lunar Chronicles is without a doubt an amazing read. Full of charm, excitement, suspense, wit and of course romance and action – honestly what more could we ask for?

Cress has been stuck in a lunar satellite as a prisoner for the last 7 years, forced into helping Queen Levana in her bid to overtake the commonwealth that Prince Kai rules. Now Cress has been given orders to try and locate Cinder, the furtive cyborg on the run. However ,what the Queen doesn’t realise is that Cress isn’t on her side and she will do anything to help Cinder and the gang – especially since she has feelings for Captain Thorne and often dreams of him coming to her rescue. When Cress’s dream finally comes true, and she is rescued by Thorne, it’s only then that her life is in real danger, because now she’s become Cinder’s accomplice and is helping in the daunting task of trying to over thrown the Queen before she can marry Prince Kai. Is there enough time for Cress, Cinder and the gang to save Prince Kai or will they be too late?

Oh my God. This book is so freaking good. I’m so surprised and pleased that with this being the third book in the series that it is still going so strong. It’s one of them series that grips you from start to finish, and you know that until you have that final book in your hands, you won’t be completely satisfied. I have to say, Cress completely blew my mind. I was on edge all the way through because you just cannot predict what this author is going to throw at you. The plot of the story continues to grow and grow throughout this instalment, and it really is a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of story! It’s a complete whirlwind and I absolutely loved every minute. Admittedly, Cress has a slow start – it’s not really until the halfway mark that things pick up, but don’t let that put you off. There’s still a lot of vital information in the first part of the story because of course, it gives us time to get to know Cress as a character.

Cress was a likable character. I have to say, she is probably my least favourite out of the three leads so far, but still her story was very enjoyable. Like all her leads, Marissa gives them all a certain charm and I always manage to sympathize with their situations – and Cress certainly had that. What I really liked about her was how honest she was, especially with Thorne. Their romance – if you could call it that – was a little bit of a shock. I wasn’t expecting for them to have any interest in each other, but it was surprisingly good. I would have liked to have seen more, or even had more confirmation that something was definitely going to happen between them, but still it was good. I think I enjoyed Thorne more as a character this time around than previous book, because we get to know him so much more. He’s still the cheeky charmer he’s always been, but he’s became a much deeper character - or for me anyway.

As usual, Cinder was completely amazing. What I love about Cinder was her strength. Yes, she’s had her little freak out moments but she’s determined to over throw Queen Levana. The twist in Cinder’s story – about who she really is – is a complete genesis idea. I can remember when I first read Cinder and how shocked I was to see that twist, and even now, I still believe it’s a fantastic twist. I’m a complete Team Cinder and Kai fan and I’ve been dying for him to finally figure out Cinder’s secret, and YES! It finally freaking happens and my God was it a good scene. Completely EPIC! And let’s not forget Wolf, Scarlet, Iko and Dr Erland – this story wouldn’t be the same without them.

The climax of Cress was fantastic. It wasn’t a too bad of a cliff-hanger, but it is one that makes you wish you have the fourth and final book; Winter. I for one cannot bloody wait!


Favourite Quote: “Captain,” she murmured. “I think I’m in love with you.” An eyebrow shot up. She counted six beats of his heart before, suddenly, he laughed. “Don’t tell me it took you two whole days to realize that. I must be losing my touch.” – Cress & Thorne

Thank you to Puffin for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

1 comment:

Yvonne ShadowRealm said...

I really need to read this series! I really don't know why I haven't started it yet

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Graphics by Octopus Artis